Home > Articles & Tips > Electrical Safety > Electrical Sparks from Outlet
Certified by Truste

Electrical Sparks from Outlet

short circuit by water

Electrical sparks from an outlet are normal...sometimes. Sometimes there is a small blue spark as you plug in an appliance. This is just a little electron action, and it's no big deal. What is normal: One little blue spark, once in a great while. Any more electrical sparks from an outlet, and you're looking at an electrical fire waiting to happen, because what you're dealing with is a short circuit.


A short circuit happens when two bare wires touch each other. When bare wires touch each other, it causes an immense amount of heat, and also sparks. That heat can cause electrical fires behind the walls. If you see electrical sparks from outlet, what you are looking at is excessive heat, heat which can cause a fire. How do wires become bare? Age, wear, and faulty installation are the main causes. Heat can actually melt the electrical wire casings, and excess heat in an outlet is usually a result of age, wear, or faulty installation.


According to the U.S. Fire Administration, you should call an electrician if you see any of the following:

*A burning smell coming from an appliance.

*Flickering lights.

*Recurring tripped breakers or burned out fuses.

*Discolored or broken wall outlets.

*Electrical sparks from an outlet.


If electrical sparks come from an outlet, here's what to do: First, turn off the power to the outlet at the breaker box. Second, call an electrician.


Now sometimes electrical sparks from an outlet are caused by a loose outlet cover. Once the power is off from the breaker box, you can have a look at the outlet cover. If it is loose, tighten it up. Turn the power back on at the breaker box. Try plugging in your appliance. If you don't see electrical sparks from the outlet, then the loose outlet cover was the problem.


Water can also cause electrical sparks from an outlet. Water conducts electricity. When water, such as a leak, is in the presence of exposed wires, the water can conduct electricity from the exposed wires. Over time, leakage current can produce an immense amount of heat. If there is something combustible nearby, like drywall, an electrical fire can start from that heat.


If you are seeing electrical sparks from an outlet, you need an electrician right away. Enter your contact information in the fields below, and qualified local pros will contact you to give you free quotes to fix your sparking electrical outlet. Don't wait to protect your house from an electrical fire.


Chaya Kurtz writes for Networx.com.





























Get Up to 4 Free Quotes From Qualified Electricians

Fill in your details and be contacted within minutes

Certified by Truste



Some of our Cities: